No matter how hard folks try, there will always be certain words they mispronounce, and let’s be honest, when they do lots of us probably giggle and judge them for it.
Well, in 2017 there was a slew of words that folks just couldn’t seem to say right, and now the Global language app Babel has revealed what they are, along with the phonetic pronunciations so you’ll never get them wrong again.
The Ten Most Mispronounced Words of 2017
- Bokeh (boh-keh) – The out of focus areas in a photo
- Coulrophobia (cool-ruh-foh-bee-ah) – Fear of clowns
- Dotard (doh-terd) – An elderly person considered weak or fragile (used by North Korea’s Kim Jung Un to describe President Trump)
- Fibromyalgia (fai-broh-mai-ahl-jyah) – A musculoskeletal illness that causes severe pain across the body
- Gal Gadot (gal gah-dott) – The actress who starred as "Wonder Woman."
- Namibia ( nah-mih-bee-ah) - A a southwest African nation (President Trump called it Nambia during a UN speech)
- Nuclear (noo-klee-ar) – Most commonly misprounounced "noo-kyoo-lar"
- Puerto Rico (pwehr-toh ree-coh)
- Pyongyang (pyong-yang) – The capital of North Korea.
- Weinstein (wine-stine) – Linguistics at Babel say it should be pronounced “stine” not “steen” although the sexually assaulting movie mogul goes with the latter.